First snafu of the project: I'm shooting with two cameras, both the same model, but one camera was shooting in 720i and one camera was shooting in 1080p. This didn't become apparent until I was reviewing the footage at the end of the night (at first I had passed this off as a poor mediaplayer decoder...). Footage is still salvageable though, only when characters move quickly does the interlacing become apparent (so I'll use camera B takes for scenes that involved lots of motion).
We shot 6gig of footable on each camera, plenty of room on the 32gig sd cards (I had worried about this being an issue).
I trick I learned from work: on late night pushes feed your engineers (actors) well (i.e. not pizza or chinese food). Everyone had energy and fun; there'll be some good material for the blooper reel.
sc30; line 204: "Here's how we find em"
sc23; line134: "We need a laser expert"
The camera labels all its files as increasing integers. So far I have over 200 files. Rather than dump all footage now and review it later I decided to label each file now to save time in editing later. On the fly I started using the following naming format for footage.
<uniqueid>_sc<scene number>_<startingline>-<endlingline>_<shot type><actors in shot>_<shot angle>_t<take number>
They say planning is the hardest part of filming, and I can already see all of my planning paying off. Labeling each line of dialog with a number saves time on set ("start reading at line 114... action!") and in the labeling of files. Look out hollywood.