Sunday, April 3, 2016

Inspiration Corner

Creative Juices

Decor and aesthetics are usually at the bottom of my priority list. My work space at home usually consists of bare walls and filing cabinets. But after a recent conversation with my sister, (someone with in a degree in art/design), she explained the utility of decorating a workspace. Namely to surround yourself with images that inspire you. While I already have the left brain discipline to keep myself progressing on projects, a figured could use a little feng shui to keep my right brain piqued as well.

She also recommended maintaining separate areas for separate idea (e.g. she's had success with color coding work/life/play items). To this end I immediately identified with a need to compartmentalize ideas for my current movie and ideas for future movies.

So my goal was to create a space that was constantly visible, easy to pin up pictures, with separated areas for separate ideas. The goal here isn't to replace my existing organizational methods (I'll still maintain my dozens of google docs), but instead to keep the creative juices flowing with reminders of why I started a project in the first place.

A little bit of spring cleaning later, I had cleared a space in my room. Instead of picking a large space on just one wall, I opted for a corner space. Something I believe with help to encourage literally surrounding myself with ideas.

My space before decor.


Cork Board and Big Pad of Paper

Instead of one giant cork board (which wouldn't facility idea separation) I bought individual 12''x12'' cork tiles with adhesive strips. When envisioning the space I gravitated towards a spaced grid design, something that harkens to the chemistry of a periodic table or the physics of an elementary particle table (you know, nerdy stuff :) ). And instead of a pure grid I went a little tetrisy with it, which left gaps for me to hang up pictures/paintings.

While shopping I also grabbed a giant pad of paper; the kind you'd usually find in a classroom. This idea was from a piece of advice I had received last summer at dragoncon. I attended a panel in which leading board game designers took questions from the audience, and one response is particular stuck with me.
Q: What computer tools should I learn to use to help be design? Like maybe photoshop?
A: Honestly, I don't touch the computer until way later. Get a big pad of paper, so you can draw large diagrams quickly. And if you don't like it, just rip off the page, throw it away, and keep designing. You'll have hundreds of pages. Don't be afraid to sketch.

And for the final garnish, instead of using pins I'll be using novelty toothpicks with stickers from flags around the world. (to represent my ever increasing interest in geography and history).

Functional decor!

No comments:

Post a Comment